Monday, October 5, 2009

Let there be life!

Soon after arriving in Oz, I started looking for permaculture events, resources, etc in the area, and came across this article in the local paper about permies on the coast growing food in their backyards. I got in touch and only a few days after attended the first permablitz on the Gold Coast, along with an excellent group of permies. This was back in July.

The next blitz was held at our place in early September, and lots of people helped with ideas, materials and seedlings, and at the end of the day our garden sported a mandala (see photos below) as well as the outlines in white spray paint of many yet-to-be made beds throughout the rest of our backyard.

Since then I've been watering daily (oh how I wish I would stop procrastinating and just put in some water tanks!) and green little miracles are sprouting all over the place. A number of meals have already been accompanied by delicious, crunchy, tasty greens from the garden.

One problem I have now is that I don't know what they all are. Many of the seedlings were planted along with their little tags, and a few others I recognize, but there are quite a few plants I cannot remember or never knew in the first place. I'll do a separate post with photos and have a 'name that plant' quiz (if anyone else is reading this... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment